Valentine’s Day Portraits

Since the Valentine’s Day mini sessions ended up being a bust (I booked a big fat ZERO sessions despite my various marketing efforts), Larisa and I decided to take our kiddos out last weekend for their own special Valentine’s Day portraits. While I’m disappointed that I apparently can’t even give my work away for practically free right now (the mini sessions were a REALLY great deal – maybe I was giving away too much), it was really fun to take The Princess out for a portrait session. Sasquatch and Sparky were in Utah (keep your fingers crossed that his new business takes off soon), so it was just me and The Princess at home and we needed to get out of the house.

Here are a few of the Valentine-themed portraits that we did for the Valentine cards she’ll hand out at her class party. Which reminds me – I need to make a final decision on which design we’re using and get the order sent to the lab.

I’m playing around with various vintage looks – the goal is to develop an editing style that’s instantly recognizable as “mine.” Larisa and I were talking over the weekend. As much as I LOVE the bright, humorous, FUN style of so many child photographers, it’s not really “me.” So I’m trying to find a niche that really is me and makes me more marketable as an artist.

DSC_8772blue DSC_8777atextureThe morning shade made it absolutely freezing in this wind tunnel of a stairwell, but she was such a good sport about the entire ordeal. We walked over to Starbuck’s afterwards for a hot chocolate. That’s right – I’m not above a little bribery to get nice portraits of my own children.

DSC_8798blueray  I can’t decide if I like this image better in black and white or “vintage,” so I’m sharing both.

DSC_8801bwDSC_8801poolDSC_8804fadedI absolutely adore the combination of these shoes and tights and felt that they deserved to be featured in a picture all by themselves.

DSC_8844vintageAfter the hot chocolate break, the weather warmed up considerably. We found a couple fantastic urban areas and created some tutu portraits which I’ll share later in another blog post. 

Windthicket Fables  – (January 31, 2010 at 1:43 PM)  

I am SO a fan of that vintage type look- I like my pictures too light-washed out, and the colors subdued (which means that my subjects need to wear bright colors) and I posetively LOVE that last one with the feet on an angle and the heart. Adorable.

esianoyam3  – (January 31, 2010 at 6:11 PM)  

I really love the vintage look. It's fun to play with textures, blends, etc. However, I'm also really REALLY picky about color and avoiding blown highlights (my hubby says I'm OCD and notice things that nobody else sees - I just really like images to be artistic AND technically correct), so it can be kind of time-consuming for me to find just the right balance. It's fun to play, though. :)

G-pa "Clover"  – (January 31, 2010 at 7:53 PM)  

Wow,what wonderful pictures. Can't wait to get our valentine.

Unknown  – (February 1, 2010 at 11:09 AM)  

They're great - you're great. I miss you all so much (I know, I just saw two of you, but that doesn't matter).
Love,
Grandma Rosie

The Hiatt's  – (February 3, 2010 at 2:48 PM)  

k I LOVE LOVE the picture with shoes and tights and the heart. LOOOOVE it! Your amaing, girl! Wait... let me re-type that. Your AMAZING, girl! :)

The Thomas Family  – (February 3, 2010 at 6:30 PM)  

SOOOOO great Shallyse! Gah, what was I doing that Saturday again???

Mary  – (February 6, 2010 at 2:44 PM)  

Hey! I'm glad you mentioned this blog on facebook. I always look at your pics because they rock. I totally love the first pic here. Super cute. I also dig the vintage look. It's cool.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP