2009 Recap

I have to be honest here – I’ve totally stolen these questions from my friend Ashlee’s blog.

1.What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before? I did a lot of cooking and baking that I’d never attempted before. It was neat to discover that I actually enjoy doing both. It was also pretty cool to discover how much better baked goods turn out when you don’t live at a high altitude.

2.What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009? I would LOVE to have a second car. It would be so nice to have the option to pack up the girls and go to playgroup or the park without having to make special arrangements.

3.What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory? I don’t know that there’s anything specific – the trip to Colorado over the summer was wonderful, and it was great having Grandma Rosie come visit. The year was pretty uneventful for the most part.

4.What was your biggest achievement of the year? Probably that whole learning how to cook and bake thing. I’ve also gained confidence in myself as an artist – it hasn’t made the lack of bookings any easier, but at least I’m not doubting my abilities as a photographer any longer.

5.What was your biggest failure? I’ve really been struggling to have faith that Heavenly Father has a reason for us being out here, and that he’s going to make sure there’s a way for us to provide for our family.

6.Did you suffer illness or injury? Nothing major. I caught a cold about a week before Christmas and I’m still dealing with the cough and accompanying rib pain. Super fun. The girls managed to stay healthy for the most part – I definitely don’t miss the inversion and the resulting respiratory illnesses that happen in Utah each winter.

7. What was the best thing you bought? We didn’t buy much of anything this year. The deterioration of image quality in my old camera forced me to buy a new camera with some of our tax return. I was able to get the D700 and I LOVE it!!

8. What behavior merited celebration? The generosity of our families this Christmas was really amazing.

9. What behavior made you appalled and depressed? It’s depressing that Sparky still doesn’t sleep through the night (or at least doesn’t go to sleep until about 2AM) most nights. At some point, we’ll get her out of our closet and into her own room, right? 

10. Where did most of your money go? Groceries, bills, diapers. Nothing exciting.

11. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? I’m trying to be happier, more faithful, and more optimistic. b) thinner or fatter? Probably about the same. We need to get generally “healthier” as a family c) richer or poorer? About the same – although that’s not saying much. :)

12. What do you wish you’d done more of? Appreciate the little things, and spent more time playing with my children.

13. What do you wish you’d done less of? Waste time on the computer and television.

14. How did you spend Christmas? We had a very quiet Christmas at home as a family. We talked to family on the web cam, but I hope this year we’ll be able to spend time with family members in person.

15. Did you fall in love in 2009? I fall more in love with my husband and children every day.

16. What was your favorite TV program? (See question 13). “Good Eats” is always a family favorite. I was happy that my favorite won on ANTM, although I almost can’t watch it any more because Tyra is so dang annoying.  “Lie to Me” was pretty good this year, and I don’t think they gave “Dollhouse” enough of a chance.

17.Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? I try not to hate anyone. I actually read a really good talk by President Monson over the holidays, and I’m trying really hard to genuinely let go of all of my past grudges.

18. What was the best book you read? “The Lovely Bones.” It was so beautifully written!

19. What was your greatest musical discovery? Owl City - “Fireflies” is getting pretty overplayed, but he has some other really great music, too.

20. What did you want and get? A new camera.

21. What did you want and not get? A lot of things – I feel like I have way too many “wants” right now, and I’m trying to figure out a way to be satisfied with what I have.

22. What was your favorite film of this year? The Blind Side

23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 28 this year. I was in Colorado with the girls. We went to a street fair type thing and had dinner at Costa Vida (I miss that place!).

24. What one thing would have made your year better? Being closer to family and friends “out West.” Not owing anything to Sallie Mae. :P

25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009? Unfortunately, at this point in my life, I’m a very “wash and wear” jeans and t-shirt kind of girl. I dream of having the budget for a vintage Anthropologie-esque style. Maybe one of these years…

26. What kept you sane? My husband’s never-ending faith.

27. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most: Nobody, really.

28. What political issue stirred you the most? Healthcare – I’m really worried about what’s going to happen to our healthcare premiums with all these requirements being forced onto insurance companies.

29. Who did you miss? Too many people to mention anyone specifically. My parents, siblings, and in-laws definitely top the list, though.

30. Who was the best new person you met? I met a lot of great new people in 2009. I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings by leaving anyone out, so I’m not going to name names. :)

31. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009: As difficult as it may seem, it is actually feasible to survive without having family members nearby. Our little family has really been forced to learn how to support and rely upon each other in the last year. As lonely as it is sometimes, it’s still been a good experience to learn how to be our own little family.

The Hiatt's  – (January 8, 2010 at 1:55 PM)  

I am glad you have the attitude you do because I would not be abe to do what it is you are doing. But things are going to change this year. We have all one hell of a year and now it is time to switch it in the opposite direction.

Windthicket Fables  – (January 12, 2010 at 7:31 PM)  

Shallyse- I have to say, as much as I love my family and I really like being back near them, I miss the days that we were just US, you know? Holidays and everything seem to be planned FOR us now instead of BY us. We have to work around everyone or there's conflict and contention. It's good to be out on your own. I am actually really torn on weather or not I want to do it again eventually. The military made our choice for us, and that was easy because it is what had to be done. But it is hard to just pick up and say goodbye to my kids grandparents and (future) cousins who will be their good friends just because I'm going to a place I want to be. It's a tough decision. You're doing a good job.
~Braeleigh

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP