Glee!!

I'm so excited that Glee starts again tonight!

I know it's totally geeky (or should I say "Gleeky" - ha! I'm hilarious, right?!?), but I love this show. I think it's probably my all-time favorite TV show.

Part of it probably stems from my high school choir days. Although at my school, it was actually considered socially acceptable to be in choir. I was in Madrigals, which was our version of show choir (we didn't get to perform any mainstream music like they do on Glee, but it was still SO much fun). Most of the Madrigals were pretty popular (I wasn't - I was too painfully shy and didn't know how to flirt - most of the members of the group were notoriously talented at flirting), and none of us ever had Icees thrown in our face.

But in spite of the differences between the show and my personal high school experience, there's still so much about Glee that reminds me of one of the few things I actually loved about high school - music; particularly singing. I wasn't a great solo singer in high school, but I was great at singing in a group (matching pitch, sight reading, all that fun stuff).

One of my favorite memories about Madrigals is the weeks leading up to Solo and Ensemble festival. We used to practice our pieces in the hallway near the gym - the ceilings were really high, and the acoustics were amazing. When everyone matched pitch just right, you could actually feel the notes bounce off the ceiling - it was so cool! We'd occasionally practice the school hymn in that hallway as well - just for the fun of it.

I also loved Christmas. It was so much fun to practice beautiful Christmas music and then perform at various events around the valley during the months of November and December. We had the opportunity to sing on the stairs inside the church office building during my Junior year. While we were singing, President Hinckley came into the foyer and stopped to listen to us sing. He said a few words to us (I think I wrote them down in a journal somewhere), shook a few hands (I was too high up on the stairs to get to shake his hand), and left a lasting impression on our hearts. I still miss being in a choir when Christmas rolls around each year.

The actual show Glee is so different from my high school choir experience (the music is much cooler and better produced and there's a bit too much drama), but it still evokes some of the positive feelings that I have when I think back on high school. It reminds me that there were actually a few things that I enjoyed about school (photography was my other love, even back then - I still miss the darkroom!).

I'm pretty excited for the show to start again tonight. I'm feeling a bit melancholy and homesick since Sasquatch's mom went back home on Sunday, so it will be a good distraction. And it's so much fun to watch Sparky dance to all the musical numbers!

Mary  – (April 13, 2010 at 11:30 AM)  

I've never even seen the show (though I've heard it's pretty good), but your post totally reminded me of high school. I wasn't in choir, but I was in band and was always really stoked about solo/ensemble time.

Also, you had a school hymn? I've never heard of that before. And President Hinckley came into your school randomly? Craziness. (and cool).

Chance and Emily  – (April 13, 2010 at 2:22 PM)  

I am so excited too. YAY for Glee!!!!

esianoyam3  – (April 14, 2010 at 9:53 AM)  

The school "hymn" was the school song. I think they called it a "hymn" because it was a lot slower than a typical school fight song - maybe... I don't really know. :)

President Hinckley didn't come to the school. We did a performance at the Church Office Building in downtown Salt Lake, and he just happened to enter the foyer while we were singing. It was really kind of amazing. :)

The Thomas Family  – (April 15, 2010 at 6:18 PM)  

I haven't watched it... yet. I guess I'm still not sure if I want to go there and get obsessed with another show.

Windthicket Fables  – (April 16, 2010 at 11:19 AM)  

I LOVE glee!! YAY for it being back on! LOL.
I soooo should have tried out for madrigals. Would have been so fun.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP